Slider

Why Going to Work at a Summer Camp Was The Best Thing I Ever Did ..

11/08/2014



Hello friends, I know I promised a product review and I promise it's coming today too :) I just wanted to share an experience with you, one I know that many have also had the pleasure of experiencing at some point in their lives and definitely won't ever have forgotten. 




It all started in January when I happened across the email (that had fallen into my junk) from the camp director inviting me to interview .. at this point I wasn't even sure I was going to be able to go to camp but I decided to have the interview anyway .. she offered me a job as a circus counsellor at her camp starting in June. Well, from the moment she started telling me everything about camp and life there I knew I had to go. I couldn't miss it. 

Fast forward to June 14th and I stepped off the plane into JFK airport with hundreds of other people embarking on their summer of a lifetime and it was completely overwhelming - I met a bunch of girls who were going to the same camp together and we stayed in a hotel together the night before we picked up and whisked away to the Poconos to start our summer. 


From the moment I stepped onto camp it was a whirlwind of people, accents, children and ALOT of circus training. Everyone kept telling me that by the end of the summer I wouldn't be able to imagine my life without the people I'd met or what my life would be like without camp ... I'll admit at the beginning I was sceptical. I thought, how could I get so close to people in just 8 weeks? Surely not. Well, I was wrong. Completely. Being at camp was like being stuck in a little bubble and the only people who understand were the people with me. From 'surprise dinners', watching parent trap outside with pillows and sleeping bags, Colour War, The Wobble, tie-dye, G17, Wacky Wednesdays, to late night porch talks writing logs, days off on Tuesdays, trip days on Thursdays .. it was worth every second. 



I made some of my best friends, shared experiences with them I never could have imagined and just had the most phenomenal summer. It's very hard to explain to anyone who wasn't there just how much it means and despite all the late nights, minimal shower time, extreme tiredness it was completely 100% totally worth it and I would (and will be) doing it again in a heartbeat. 

To anyone who has the chance to go and experience working at a camp through a summer I would say DO IT DO IT DO IT, YES YES YES! Because it is just something you won't regret even for a second and the memories you make will be with you forever .. along with all the friends you shared them with! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

All original website content is property of heyitssophie.co.uk