Slider

Brighton Theatre Group does Hairspray

7/07/2015



Brighton Youth Theatre Group productions are something I look forward to every time I know there is one coming up. Their most recent is Hairspray and last night I got to watch the opening night show. I was absolutely blown away. 


One or twice a year, Brighton Theatre Group take over the Brighton Dome for a whirlwind few days and this time they are taking on this Hairspray!
Hairspray is one of my all time favourite musicals so I was really excited when I found out that this was going to be the next show for Brighton Theatre Group. 

It was amazing to see loads of new faces in the cast, including that of Sophie Graffen who takes the lead as Tracy Turnblad. She is absolutely sensational, with an amazing voice and a personality that just bubbles off the stage and into the audience. I hope to see her again in future theatre productions for sure! 

Every member of the cast brings 100% to every single song and dance routine, Maisie Dadswell who plays Penny Pingleton is hilarious with the most perfect comic timing and a beautiful voice that really stands out in the group numbers. 

It was great to see Madison Horne in a lead role again! I saw her for the first playing Sandy in Grease and for Hairspray she takes on the sharp tongued, cruel witted Amber Von Tussle - and she does the whole thing with such ease. I particularly enjoyed 'Mama I'm a Big Girl Now' in Act One where Tracy, Amber and Penny are singing with their mothers. 

It's hard to believe when watching Brighton Youth Theatre that all of the cast are just that, youth! Every single person on that stage is exploding with talent, there isn't one weak link or anyone who looks disinterested. It's one of the things that makes the productions so special, you can't help but enjoy it when you can see the cast having such a ball on stage! 

It's hard to choose just one part of the show that really stood out because there wasn't a second of it that I didn't enjoy, but I think every scene that Edna Turnblad (played by Bill Evans) is in has something really special, he really throws himself into the role and doesn't hold back at all which adds to the depth of the character and everything about it is really fun and naughty. A special mention to the amazing Sofia Goghrod who plays Little Inez with complete style and commands attention everytime she opens her mouth to sing - she has some serious talent! 

Also, Amie Shouler, playing Motormouth Maybelle completely stole the show for me with 'I Know Where I've Been' - Amie played Anita in West Side Story last year and again, completely stole the show then too, but the way she captures Motormouth Maybelle in this production of Hairspray is phenomenal. 

Brighton Theatre Group will be at the Brighton Dome until 11th July with their production of Hairspray The Musical and there are still tickets available here so if you can get down there to see it you won't regret it! I also guarantee it will start a long love affair with everything they produce, nothing disappoints and it'll get you ready for Legally Blonde which is coming in June 2016! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

All original website content is property of heyitssophie.co.uk