Slider

Books of 2015 | January

1/12/2015


So, I read ALOT and I think it'd be nice to share book recommendations on here with you all in case you're stuck for something to read or looking to branch out into a new genre. I read a lot of YA fiction because it's what I love to read and also what I write so it all ties in.




The seven books I've read so far this year will be the ones I talk about today and I'll go on like that, I've been reading a lot lately so I might split January into two! 
The books i'll be talking about are:
'Spy Society' and 'Sleuth or Dare' by Robin Benway
'United we Spy' by Ally Carter
'Night School: Resistance' by C.J Daugherty
'The Sound' and 'Out of Control' by Sarah Alderson
'Misty Falls' by Joss Stirling

I've linked the authors twitter handles so you can check them out and go to their websites from there! 


'United We Spy'
 is the sixth and final instalment in the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter. I started reading about Cammie and the Gallagher Academy YEARS ago so it was quite sad to see it come to and end. It tied up nicely though and I'm still holding out for a spin off! Ally Carter does a really great job of writing a strong female heroine, she gets everything right and it's really great to read! I would urge you to get the whole series if you've not been there yet and if you HAVE then let me know what you thought down below in the comments! 

*****

'Night School: Resistance' is just one of my favourite books of the last year! The whole Night School premise is fascinating to me and it's so refreshing and new. It takes a very brave YA author to write a political book for teenagers by C.J has absolutely nailed it with Night School. This is the fourth and penultimate instalment with the fifth and final coming out in April of this year. It's a really great read, really worth giving it a go especially if you want something different to the usual YA fiction! 

*****




These books are by Robin Benway who is an American author (with the cutest dog, by the way) I read both 'Spy Society' and 'Sleuth or Dare' in about a day and a half - I just couldn't put them down! These are the first books of Robin's I've read, but I will definitely be buying everything else she's written too, because her writing style is just amazing. It's so magnetic and easy to read. I found her character development to be up there with Joss Whedon and Buffy (anyone who knows me knows my love of Buffy and Whedon's insane ability to develop a character) I would recommend these books to everyone, I really think they're a great buy but especially to anyone looking for books with mystery, intrigue and some truly brilliant characters!


I have been reading Sarah Alderson books for over a year now - I first discovered her 'Hunting Lila' series and went from there slowly devouring everything she came out with. 'The Sound' took me all of five hours to get through and is one of the best books I've read in a really long time. I wasn't sure what to expect from the blurb and reviews I had read, but I'm so glad that I went with it, because it was as amazing as everything else she has written. I am still going with 'Out of Control' and I would urge you to be buy this if only for the opening few chapters which are guaranteed to leave you with more questions than you can imagine. It's amazing to read a book where it's clear how much detailed thought and planning has gone into it and that's what I get when I read a book by Sarah Alderson. Always a delight and I can't wait to see where 'Out of Control' takes Olivia and Jaime! 


Joss Stirling has been writing books in the 'Savant' series for a few years now, it started with 'Finding Sky' and is four books in now with 'Misty Falls' - I love Joss' writing style and the way she connects the reader to the character but my favourite thing about her series is the way the series has progressed. Usually when you read a series it will follow a character, this series follows the world she has created and it's so fun to see which character she'll pick next. The first book focussed on Sky, the next Phoenix and then Crystal and now Misty - Crystal's neice! It's inspired and what is so fun is that it has no limit - potentially she could keep going with these for years and years (and personally I hope she does!) Misty is my favourite so far - I love her "gift" and the problems it creates for her and I loved the cameos of old characters throughout the pages. Definitely, if you haven't found her already, check out Joss Stirling!

*****

As you can see, I've been on the teenage espionage bandwagon lately but sometimes I do a love a spy story! Comment below with your favourite books of this year so far and anything you'd recommend me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

All original website content is property of heyitssophie.co.uk