Slider

Interview with Sharron Spice of ‘Femmetamorphosis’

6/08/2015





Elicit Theatre presents ‘Femmetamorphosis’ - a new theatre comedy about a women's lingerie party. It's opening it's doors to the public in London on the 18th June before zipping off to the Edinburgh Fringe later this year. I've been talking to writer, director and actress Sharron Spice about her role in the production and how she got it to where it is now. 




Could you give a brief overview of the production and tell me what it was that inspired you to write Femmetamorphosis? 

The plot is based around a group of women from different social classes and backgrounds whose paths would probably never cross if it were not for the lingerie party. The Femmetamorphosis is the gradual change throughout the play of attitudes, prejudices with friendships formed and a makeover in order help a young woman raise her self-esteem and confidence with some laughs involved. I was motivated to write this play as I was frustrated, only getting the same old stereotypical roles for black actresses. 


Edinburgh Fringe is a big achievement for a writer and director at any stage in their career, what was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome when securing your spot for Femmetamorphosis? 

Yes, it’s a great achievement I know plenty of writers that have written plays and shown it a couple of times and that’s it, with my play I really want people to appreciate it and I think I owe the script that too. I was very lucky as I was offered several places, as they really liked the script and the positive messages behind it. I was very target specific about where I wanted my play to be performed, so I had a choice of three and chose one of the best venues in Edinburgh Festival.

How long had you been working on Femmetamorphosis before it came to fruition? 

I had been working on the script for nearly three years on and off, not wanting to rush the natural writing process. Femmetamorphosis was finally finished in 2014, with three performances in the same 
year. I was elated when it was finally completed but then came the task of being honest and neutral by getting people in the industry to honestly critique my work. Overall, it was received very well which was a relief considering it is only the second play I’ve written. 

As a writer and director where are you at in your career and where do you see yourself going in the future, post Edinburgh Fringe? 

Hmmm to be honest I have not thought that far ahead at present my main focus is raising awareness of positive black British talent, new writers, creating a platform for actors to be recognised and acknowledged for their craft, creativity and individuality as performers. I am a performer foremost and in this overly subscribed market you've got to be able to stand out from the crowd. Kruella, a book I am writing, is a biography about my life and growing up and is nearly complete with a view to a book launch in the autumn

What advice would you give to aspiring writers and/or directors in this industry? 

My advice would be to go for it but do your research thoroughly as with life there are ups and downs and you need to be prepared for rejection, harsh criticism and multiple failures. Definitely enrol onto some classes, and workshops, be prepared before deciding on embarking on the journey. Its ok to fail but are you strong enough to get up and fight another day? 

How was the casting process? Did you find actors that fit your characters easily, or was it a struggle?  

Initially I put out adverts on social media and contacted people I had worked with in the past as I feel it’s important to give others an opportunity. It’s a nice feeling when someone you’ve worked with in the past contacts you with another project. I was overwhelmed with the response, sifting through many C.V’s.  I did have difficulty finding one or two ethnic roles, which is a sad reflection on the lack of diversity regarding the resumes I was receiving. The whole process is challenging especially after the audition process and the person we’ve chosen turns out be not what I expected or vice versa. It has been a learning curve but I would rather stick to the acting.

Where did you get the inspiration for your characters? Do you ever base your characters off of people you know in real life? 

Some of the characters were inspired by people I knew, importantly they had to be real so the audience can relate. I started off wanting six individual female characters, all different on the surface but underneath with their own issues, which is true to life. There’s a couple that are real life but you will have to guess.

What can the audience expect to feel, coming away from watching Femmetamorphosis? Is there one particular message you want to stick with them?

That they will have enjoyed the show, characters and question themselves on their behaviour and prejudices. As women no matter where we come from we all have issues and it’s part of  life, sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The audience will relate to some of the characters, supporting the solidarity of sisterhood, independence and feminism. I would like them to be brutally honest if they had to choose which female role is their closest match? Elicit Theatre Company is thought provoking and real.

Who would you say is your biggest inspiration in this industry? 

I don’t have any particular person in the industry, there are such great actors and actresses past and present, I couldn’t name just one there’s too many!!!

How have you found the response to Femmetamorphosis so far and what are your plans for it after you’ve conquered Edinburgh?

We have had some good feedback and interest in Femmetamorphosis having just been offered to headline at the Ambition Festival in July.  Hopefully we have a paid run just off West End and anything else is a bonus. I would like to obtain a decent agent and do some TV, film work so I could head off to L.A maybe and write another play.

-------------------------------

I loved interviewing Sharron, I think she has some really positive and important things to say and I'm really looking forward to seeing the show at The Bread and Roses Theatre next week. You can find them on Facebook where you can subscribe to the event and follow them as they move towards Edinburgh Fringe and all the exciting things coming up in the next few months. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

All original website content is property of heyitssophie.co.uk