Slider

Tea Talk | The Bone Season

8/22/2015


Three of my favourite things are tea, reading and talking .. so I thought I'd combine it all into a cute little post and talk about the book I'm reading at the moment - The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.

I have had The Bone Season sitting on my shelf for probably a year and a half and I even have a signed copy of The Mime Order (book 2) ready and waiting. I think because it's such a big read and I've heard such good things I really wanted to wait until I could give it my full attention and not be distracted by work and other things. I like to read books like this in almost one sitting.

I remember first hearing about Samantha Shannon when she got her 6 figure deal with Bloomsbury - my dad was telling me about her because we were the same age, everywhere was hailing her as the next J.K Rowling and she was basically living my dream. I knew from then that I wanted to read her books and follow her journey and from what I've seen of The Bone Season so far she isn't going to disappoint.


From my Instagram - soffyaaah
I'm currently on page 156 of 452 and I can't believe how much has happened to protagonist Paige Mahoney already! I've been introduced to Oxford in the year 2059, Mime Crime, Flux darts, the Rephaite, Scion and some truly remarkable characters. I can see where the J.K Rowling comparisons came from - the writing is smooth and neat, the characters fully formed with back stories and personalities and troubles and she has created a whole world, not just a book.  

I liked Paige from the get go, I loved that she wasn't a weak and feeble leading lady who was just hanging around for a man to steer the story, but a strong-willed, determined fully formed character with a mind of her own. That's what got me to liking her and everything else just followed on from there. Samantha has done an amazing job of writing the kind of girl we all secretly hope we'd be in a dystopian supernatural future and I find myself cheering for Paige at every turn of the page and I know that wherever the story goes as long as Paige herself keeps the ideals set out in the first book I'll keep reading. 

At the moment, where I am in the story and without giving away any spoilers, I'm waiting to see if Paige will face the Buzzers and become a red-coat and even though I'm not even halfway through I find I'm so invested in her journey. There are so many conflicting feelings coming through from the characters about what it means to be a redcoat and the way that Samantha has written it means you feel them all as a reader too. Part of me really wants her to do it, to keep pushing further into the Rephaite world so she'll be able to stop them and the other part of me wants her to grab her friends and run back to I Cohort as fast as she can.

Samantha Shannon has a 7 book deal with Bloomsbury meaning that Paige's journey is far from over, I've made a list of a few things I hope to see in her journey through Scion. 

  • Paige to be reunited with her group in I Cohort - I need to know more about Jax and the Seven Seals and really see them in action. 
  • More scenes with Paige and Nick - I've only really seen them in flashbacks and memories but he is one hundred percent going to be one of my favourite characters. I just know. 
  • More in depth exploration of the orders of clairvoyance - I love it when I have a book where the possibilities to glean more information are endless and I'd love to know more about everything in Samantha's head when it comes to her world. 
  • For Liss to become an even bigger part of the story - Liss has an edge over Paige because she's been around the Rephaite longer and I hope that Paige keeps her close even if she manages to get back to I Cohort. 
  • More on the Warden - he is just such a mystery and I want to know it all! 

I can't wait to crack on with The Bone Season and then for The Mime Order - that's hundreds of pages to get through and I'm excited to see where Paige and her gang will be in time for the third book. I'm only sorry it took me so long to get round to reading it, but it's nice to know I have so much to look forward to from such a talented author! 

If you've read The Bone Season or The Mime Order comment below your favourite character or something you're hoping for in future books - no spoilers please! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

All original website content is property of heyitssophie.co.uk