Slider

Halloweek | Day Five | Marshmallow Ghost Cupcakes

10/30/2015

For day five of Halloweek I'm bringing another recipe to the table - day four was supposed to be different makeup styles but there was a photography issue - the issue being I didn't take any photos so you're stuck with cake. This time we have chocolate Marshmallow Ghost cupcakes and they are pretty great.

I found a basic cupcake recipe in the 'Mary Berry: 100 Cakes and Bakes' book and altered it slightly to accommodate the cocoa powder - you could do these ghost cakes as vanilla but I wanted a chocolate mix for mine. Before anything else you have to set the oven to Gas Mark 4 and put your chosen cupcake cases into the tin - I chose a lovely metallic gold colour from Sainsburys.

Shove all your ingredients into a big mixing bowl and mix it all up - I use a wooden spoon but if you have a mixer it'll be one hundred times faster and also you won't get sore arms which is a win!

I always use an icecream scoop to make sure that the cakes are going to be even so once your mix is evenly divided between your 12 cases just pop them in the over for about 15-20 minutes or until you can stick a skewer in them and it comes out clean.

When you have your 12 chocolate cupcakes out of the oven and cooling it's time to move on to the marshmallow frosting - this is the most fun!

For your marshmallow frosting you need the above ingredients - I used egg white powder sachets because they're super cheap and reduce the mess.

To start add your sugar, golden syrup and four tablespoons of water into a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the sugar syrup to the boil and cook for about 5-6 minutes.

Mix your egg whites in a large mixing bowl (much much larger than this one) until soft peaks form - I would suggest a handheld mixer for this if you have one or you're going to be there for 100 years.

Once you have your egg whites whisked and while the syrup is still boiling put your mixer onto a slow speed and pour the sugar syrup into the egg whites in a slow, steady stream. Once all the syrup has been added increase the speed of your mixer and mix for about 5-10 minutes until your icing is completely cool and glossy. Tip - if in doubt mix for longer or your icing won't be thick enough and your ghosts will slip off the cakes.

 This is what it should look like when it's done - a bowl of shiny marshmallow fluff!

When your cakes are completely cool get your piping bag ready and get to work on forming your ghosts! I used a wide circular piping nozzle to get the ghost shape and I got the candy eyes in HomeSense - they had an amazing range of Halloween decorations this year. You could substitute the candy eyes for chocolate chips or buttons depending on what look you're going for. 

I was so so pleased with how these guys turned out and I will definitely be making them for Halloween next year! They tasted great too and I think marshmallow frosting is my new favourite - I want to put it on all the cakes I ever make! 

Thanks for checking back for Halloweek Day 5 - tomorrow's post is Pumpkin Carving so make sure you check back for that! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

All original website content is property of heyitssophie.co.uk